Monday, September 17, 2012

Cattle Drive

I do not know very many exact details about the cattle drives that the Downing family had, however I do know that they were large cattle drives and the were frequent. In 1892 John Floyd Henry Downing was born in Trinidad, Colorado, most likely a stop along the cattle trail. Floyd had an older brother who died at a very young age, I have not found any records that state his name.

These cattle drives were from Texas to either Dell or Lima, Montana. The exact amount of cattle driven is entirely unknown, however i have recovered John Henry Downings' cattle brands from Dell, Montana. I have not yet searched for cattle brands in his name in Texas, but if i find his brands there it will allow me to backtrack further showing me the region in Texas they occupied. It is believed that he lived in the pan handle of Texas.

If i do find residency's in Texas it may allow me to find more information about my fourth great grandpa Adam Downing. Adam Downing's father is the man that is likely to be "The Man in the Red Coat" who fought for Great Britain in the Revolutionary War. Records past Adam appear to be nonexistent, indicating the possibility that "The Man in the Red Coat" was deported after the war. There is also an Indian whose name was Red Coat and with how involved my family was with Indians it is possible that "The Man in the Red Coat" was not a solider at all but an Indian Comrade who fought in the Revolutionary War.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many directions to research, it can be hard to decide where to look first! The cattle brands sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete